Clothing design is the discipline of applying aesthetics, fashion, design and fabrication to clothing and its accompanying accessories. It varies widely over time and geographical location, and is influenced by culture and other trends. A good clothing designer must be able to recognize and interpret fads and market trends, as well as understand his or her clientele’s needs and wants. As fashions change so do the needs of consumers, and if fashion designers can combine functionality with consideration for the customer, they will have their work cut out for them. But if you are interested in entering the world of clothing design, here are a few tips to help you along:
– Understand fabrics and their characteristics. Clothes fabric types vary according to quality and use. Your designer education will help you learn about these differences, which will in turn allow you to design clothes that are made from the appropriate fabric. Basic fabrics such as cotton, nylon, Lycra, silk and synthetic fibers are used in the making of most clothes.
– Identify current fashion trends. Depending on where you live, the fashion trends may be different. For example, in New York City, clothing designers follow the high fashion trends to those in smaller towns follow more conservative styles.
– Use fabric classification and grading systems. Fabric classification is used to identify various fabrics based on the type of thread used, color and grade. Grading systems classify fabrics into three levels; top-stress, back-stress and wrinkles. The use of these two systems enables designers to produce custom-fitted apparel. Fabric classification and grading software can also be used to generate charts of material costs, allowing manufacturers to create bulk orders.
– Develop your sense of play. While working on your clothing design or apparel design projects, pay close attention to details. Examine every aspect of the process, form patterns to final products for wear and tear. A good rule of thumb is to complete one sewing job before turning the project over to a sewing helper. Also, plan out your daily schedule so that you are always on hand with new materials.
– Work with skilled labor. You may have fancy machines, fabrics and clothes but if you do not know how to handle sewing machines or use apparel design software, your designs will not come out right. Working with skilled and well-trained workers will ensure that your clothes turn out correctly and on time. Even the smallest details make a huge difference when it comes to fashion designer and apparel designer clothing styles. So, work with the right people.